Thursday

Why Do I Do What I Do?



 
I was excited when I realized that the "Why" of home school was the topic for this week's blog hop. Some weeks, when it seems I'm trying to achieve an epic fail, it's important to remember why I do the things I do.

However, I can more easily spout off the reasons for which I did Not choose to home school. I did not choose home schooling for any of the below reasons:
  • My children are geniuses.  
  • Public school children are horrible.
  • We live in a cave surrounded by guns and are waiting for society to collapse.
  • I am a genius.
  • We have so much money that I thought home schooling would give me more shopping opportunities.
  • Other people's children have cooties.
  • My children have cooties.
  • I have tons of patience.
  • I am incredibly disciplined.
  • We don't have enough money for private school tuition.
The reasons we initially choose to home school are so complicated and varied that it would take book to explain; but none of the above reasons were in the original decision making mix.

However, the reasons we keep home schooling are:
  • It works for us.  My kids are learning and growing- academically and emotionally and socially.
  • It strengthens relationships within our family.
  • It allows me the opportunity to teach to each child's learning style.
  • It allows the children greater flexibility to work and travel with their Dad without being tied to a calendar.
  • It has allowed my older children more time to focus on their particular strengths and interests.
  • It gives me the freedom and the time to instruct our children in Biblical studies.
  • My chronically ill child can continue learning without the many absences and additional illnesses attending school would invariably entail.
Most of all, home schooling gives me time with my children. Time for them to experience life in a thoughtful way.  Time for me to know them and answer their questions.  Time for them to annoy the snot out of me.  Time for us to all practice Love.



MckLinky Blog Hop



4 comments:

  1. Best Post yet!! Love it!!! Thank you for sharing.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the flexibility as well! So nice to go by our schedule and not the local school systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list of reasons why you didnt homeschool. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your lists! I especially love your last sentence about practicing Love. Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete